The second Modernist Network Cymru (MONC) conference takes place at the National Library of Wales and Aberystwyth University School of Art on 12-13 September 2017, with ‘Word and Image’ as its theme.
To accompany the conference the Library is exhibiting manuscripts and archives relating to some of Wales’s most important twentieth century writers and artists. The items on display are as follows:
- a sketch of a soldier from David Jones’s manuscript draft of Part V of In Parenthesis (David Jones Papers LP2/6),
- a coloured diagram by David Jones depicting the genealogy of myth (David Jones Papers LO3/3),
- letters from T. S. Eliot to David Jones (David Jones Papers CT1/2),
- a selection of the notebooks of Ray Howard-Jones showing draft poems and drawings (Ray Howard-Jones Papers H2/3),
- papers of the poet R. S. Thomas relating to the publication of an illustrated collection of his poems, The Way of It (1977) (NLW MS 23474C),
- letters from the photographer and artist John Piper to the composer Alun Hoddinott (The Alun Hoddinott Archive BA1/23),
- sketches by the artist Gwen John (NLW MS 22297B),
- Gwen John’s notes on art (NLW MS 22284B),
- ‘Birds in Winter’, an illustrated poem by Berta Ruck, recently purchased by the Library (see the Berta Ruck Archive),
- papers of the writer and artist Brenda Chamberlain (NLW MS 24065E),
- Dylan Thomas’s sketch map of Llareggub, the setting for his play for voices Under Milk Wood (NLW MS 23949E),
- a letter, 16 June 1953, from Thomas to his American mistress Liz Reitell (NLW MS 24091D),
- and a holograph copy of Thomas’s poem ‘Ears in the turrets hear’ (NLW MS 23990D).
The exhibition can be seen in the Summers Room at the National Library on 12-13 September 2017.
Rhys M. Jones
Assistant Manuscripts Librarian